Driver Arrested in Polk Co. Pedestrian Hit and Run Fatality
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 6:35 p.m. the Polk County Dispatch Center received a report of a car v. pedestrian hit and run crash in the City of Amery on Keller Ave/STH 46 near Central Street. Amery Police were dispatched to the scene.
Upon arrival, APD officers were advised that an adult woman was crossing Keller Ave from west to east when she was struck by a vehicle being driven southbound on Keller Ave. The driver briefly stopped and then continued southbound from the scene. Witnesses were able to provide a vehicle description and WI license plate number. The vehicle was described and identified as a Green 2001 Saturn registered to Michael George, 59, of Altoona, WI.
The pedestrian was identified as Lisa Allen, 50, Amery. Ms. Allen was taken to ARMC via ambulance and immediately transferred by air ambulance to Regions Hospital in St. Paul, in critical condition.
The suspect vehicle was later located in Woodville, WI and contact was made with Mr. George. Mr. George was taken into custody for OWI 2nd Offense and Hit and run causing Injury. Mr. George was then transported to the Polk County Jail.
On February 12, 2018 the Ramsey County Medical Examiner advised that the victim died of injuries sustained in the crash. Charges are likely to be upgraded to Hit and Run causing death.
APD was assisted in the incident by Polk County Sheriff’s Office, Woodville PD, St. Croix County Sheriff’s Office, Amery Fire Department and the Amery Ambulance Service.
The incident remains under investigation.
You May Also Be Interested In:
- Prison Ordered for Polk Co. Man Convicted of Child Abuse
- Cumberland Police: Plates on Vehicle Stolen from Polk County
- Polk County Jail Bookings from 2/09 to 2/15
- Polk County Jail Bookings from 2/02 to 2/08
- Polk County Woman Sentenced for Making a Forged Security
- Polk County Jail Bookings from 1/26 to to 2/01
- Driver Warns of Thin Ice on Lower Clam after Truck Breaks Through
- Charges Filed Against Man Arrested in Large Meth Seizure in Burnett Co.
- 19-Year-Old Facing Charges of Escape from Arrest in Polk County